August 2014: New 2014 Disability and Health Data System (DHDS) Updates
CDC, NCBDDD’s Division of Human Development and Disability announces new features and updates to Disability and Health Data System (DHDS), an online interactive tool that provides instant access to state-level health data about adults with disabilities.
New 2014 features of the data tool include:
- 2012 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) Data – 2012 BRFSS data were recently analyzed and added to DHDS. Three new indicators were added to DHDS, which include:
- Fallen in Past 12 Months
- Injury Due to a Fall in Past 12 Months
- Up-to-date Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Interactive Map for Mobile Devices – This feature allows you now to view an interactive map on a mobile device. You can view these maps on a smartphone, tablet, and all web browsers except Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
- Dual Area Profiles – This feature allows you to view, side-by-side, multiple indicators for two geographic areas. You can view these profiles by clicking ‘Dual Area Profiles’ in the left navigation. There are three new dual area profiles available:
- Health Overview
- Disability Status Overview
- Demographic Overview
- Single Year Indicators Stratified by Demographic Groups – Single year health data analyzed by demographic groups were added beginning with the 2011 data. With the addition of 2012 data, almost all health indicators are now analyzed by age, sex, and race/ethnicity.
- P-values on Disability Disparity Estimates – All health indicators now contain p-values for disparity estimates. P-values were added for each disparity estimate beginning with the 2011 data.
- Changed indicator analysis to match current recommendations – Two indicators were updated to be consistent with the current U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations. Their data prior to 2012 were removed from DHDS. Updated indicators are:
- Mammogram in Past 2 Years
- Pap Test in Past 3 Years
- Determine the percentage of adults with disabilities in their state
- Find health data for adults with disabilities in their state, and compare these data to adults without disabilities
- Compare their state health data to other states, and to the United States & Territories average
- View data on a range of health topics for a single state
- Create and download customizable data tables
Visit DHDS at http://dhds.cdc.gov to view the recent 2012 data, updated DHDS Fact Sheet, updated 2014 Update Notes, and updated Health Indicator List on the health of adults with disabilities in your health program area or your state. Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Disability and Health, visit http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth.